Pawpaw Pasta Salad
This pawpaw pasta salad shows off the creamy texture of pawpaws in a surprisingly savory summer favorite!
Can Pawpaws be used in Savory Dishes?
You bet! This pasta salad recipe from The Joy of Pawpaw Cookbook demonstrates how you can use pawpaws in all sorts of flavor applications. In this dressing, pawpaws create the creamy texture and rich mouthfeel normally achieved by dairy or mayonnaise in like dressings – which means this is incidentally vegan!
Where Can I Learn about Pawpaws?
Right Here! Foraged Market is your go-to spot for pawpaws and pawpaw information.
Pawpaw Pasta Salad*
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup pawpaw pulp
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1. Prepare the green pepper, tomato, and celery, chill until needed.
- 2. Blend all ingredients except for the vegetables until thoroughly smooth.
- 3. Cook 8 ounces of tri-color pasta, cooking as directed. Rinse with cold water, drain thoroughly. Mix 1/3 dressing with pasta. Chill several hours or overnight.
- 4. Add pepper, tomato, and celery to pasta. Mix another 1/3 of dressing with pasta and vegetables.
- 5. Add 1/3 dressing just before serving.
The Joy of Pawpaw is dedicated to Terry Powell (1950-2021), a long-time pawpaw farmer and enthusiast. She tested and approved many of the recipes found in The Edible Pawpaw cookbook, the predecessor to The Joy of Pawpaw cookbook. Along with her husband Ron, Terry was instrumental in the development of the Ohio Pawpaw Growers Association." *This recipe is written as it appears in The Joy of Pawpaw Cookbook, available for pre-order exclusively on Foraged.